Friday, June 12, 2009

Let's See How Long This Takes

Our project really seems to exemplify the little story about how for want of a nail the kingdom was lost. The latest version goes like this:

For want of a response from Dominion Power, the electic meter can't be moved.
For want of moving the electric meter, the concrete cannot be poured.
For want of the concrete being poured, the concrete cannot be cured (3 weeks).
For want of the concrete being cured, the concrete cannot be stained.
For want of the concrete being stained, the fireplace and new stairs cannot be installed.
For want of the fireplace being installed the green roof cannot be installed.
For want of the stairs being installed we cannot put in the floors or knock down the wall.
For want of knocking down the wall, we cannot install the HVAC or connect the interior electrical or run the pipes from the basement up the chase through the roof or having the spray foam insulation guy come and do the interior insulation.
For want of finished electrical work and insulation, we cannot put up the drywall.
For want of putting up the drywall, we cannot finish this project and move on with our lives.
All for the failure of Dominion Power to do their f*&^%ing jobs. As usual.

The last time we had to deal with Dominion was before we did the framing, as the electric meter just happened to sit exactly where the wall was going to go. Then the temporary power was brilliantly set up exactly where the outdoor concrete slab needs to go. Now you may not know this, but Dominion owns the lines and the meters and you can't do anything without their approval and their help. And by help, I mean, they are the only ones authorized to come and connect the power from your pole to your meter. So you can have an awesome electrician (we don't, of course), who will have everything ready to go, but s/he is not authorized to connect the line from the pole to your meter. Only Dominion is. And, as one might expect from a monopoly, customer service is not in their vocabulary. They'll call you back only if they feel like it, which is pretty much never. People complain about The Big Hand of Government ruining your life, but I myself have never experienced the kind of frustration that makes you want to stick your head out the window and scream "I'm mad as hell and I'm not gonna take it anymore!!" than I have dealing with private companies who have a monopoly on the most important stuff in your daily life, namely your electricity (Dominion), your cable (Comcast), telephone (Verizon/AT&T), and your health insurance (OK, I have Federal Blue Cross and they're the bomb - in a good way). And I work for the government and can tell you, if I didn't respond to a client within a week, much less 4 months, I'd be fired.

That's right, I said 4 months. That's how long we had to wait for Dominion Power to come out and connect our temporary power last time. I had to threaten to sue before they came and then they yelled at me (they're so professional, too) because we weren't there at 1:27 pm on the random Tuesday afternoon when they showed up totally unannounced.

Now, we need to move the temporary power to its permanent location. We initially wanted it on our shed. So the contractor we've hired to pour the outdoor concrete and retaining wall called an electrician. The electrician first said the City wouldn't allow that. I called the City. They don't care where the meter goes. I call the electrician back and was then told that Dominion won't allow it, but they're not willing to meet with Dominion without a contract and they won't give us a firm bid until they hear from Dominion. So of course we say no thanks, we've been down that road before, I'll call Dominion my damned self.

I first called Dominion's customer service (HAHAHAHAHAHAHA) line on Monday, June 8, and was told I would be called back within 24-48 hours. When I was not, I called on Wednesday and demanded a direct number to their operations department and miraculously got one. I say miraculous because Dominion does not disclose actual department numbers or addresses anywhere and usually won't give them out over the phone, either. So I called the "Project Designer" for my neighborhood yesterday afternoon. And again today, as a friendly reminder. Nope, nothin'. So let's see how long this takes. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: