Friday, May 22, 2009

Posting Something Cool

Per my husband's request, I am posting something "cool." It's the outside of the house.

This was actually sided last summer and now it's all dark and moody looking , which is probably even "cooler" than the way it looks in the photo - all bright and shiny happy. But I have to say, being an architect, though trying, must be one of the coolest jobs out there. When I complete a project, there's a piece of paper (or thousands) that gets filed in some courtroom or archive somewhere; a check is cut, and someone hires some consultants to start putting in control technology. And that's cool, don't get me wrong. But a lot of the point of what I do is in my head - I imagine the children who don't have asthma attacks anymore, I picture the tadpoles and river otters that thrive - it's lucky, in other words, that I have an overactive imagination since the truth of the matter is that I never get to actually see the result of my endeavors. But as an architect, one day, you walk over, and you get to look at this - this thing that you thought of, that popped into your head out of thin air - brought to reality. I wonder if the god of architecture is Pygmalion.


2 comments:

l2saint said...

What is that material used for your siding? Is it metallic, or does it just look that way? Pretty cool.

d said...

Copper. It's actually a copper foil wrapped around an asphalt shingle. This makes it fragile but cheaper. It's made by Tegola, which also has this wicked cool version of the tile that has a solar panel in it.